A nun I used to live with had a habit of saying, "We eat like kings!" which super confused me because all the food we ate was pretty ordinary.
Then it finally clicked with me. My "ordinary" is truly a feast.
I can eat anything I want to, as much as I want to, pretty much whenever I want to. This is decadent. This is unusual for our world, and definitely a modern innovation. Even kings in the Middle Ages had to bow to the seasons as far as food went. Not us! Our choices usually are not limited by seasons, by what we have on hand, by distance.
If I do not feel like eating whatever I have at home, I can drive to a grocery store or a restaurant or even a gas station and have a huge selection of choices, very likely including something I really wanted. I can usually find anything I desire, no matter what the season.
I can choose healthy or unhealthy. I can choose sweet or savory or both. I can keep it simple or make a fuss. I can measure out portions and save whatever I do not wish to eat immediately.
Our food supply is a blessing, and a miracle, really, when you think about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment